[AccessD] Global Variables Thanks

Tony Septav iggy at nanaimo.ark.com
Wed May 18 09:00:37 CDT 2005

Thanks to John, Drew and All
For a long while now I have been reading the postings on the list about
Global variables "bad practice", "avoid using them", etc.  I have a
couple of old programs that have been running cleanly for years and they
use a large amount of global variables. Many of the variables are
carried through various phases of the project and some are regularly
being changed/refreshed.  Yes and some are integers.

After reading  "bad practice" I  got worried that I was doing something
majorily wrong.  I sat down  and tried to figure out how I would carry
some of these variables forward. It amounted to a large increase in the
code necessary to do this and in some cases it involved complex/messy
error trapping  vs simple declaring the variable and trapping for errors.

Anyway after this discussion I am now aware of what is meant by and in
what circumstances individuals deem it "bad practice" and  that on the
otherhand handled properly  it is not necessarily a
bad thing.  Another thing to keep in the back of my mind when developing
an application.

Old dog new tricks.