[AccessD] Front End Updater

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:33:11 CDT 2005

Not all companies have "excellent" 100mb networks. I've worked in a great
network environment before... and in this kind of environment it's easy to
forget the amount of load you place on a network. (Especially if you plan on
making updates available via a Wan).

I am NOT saying that updating the entire FE is "wrong" for the sake of being
wrong... but I do think that as a developer you are taking your hardware for
granted, especially if there is no "need" to transfer the entire FE when
nothing has been updated. You unnecessarily promote hdd defragmentation,
adding network traffic when there is no "explicit" need, and in many cases
slowing down the startup time on your application, why would you
purposefully want to do that?

Now that I've ranted, a single txt file w/ the version information is a mere
52 bytes, how big are the FE's you are talking about? my current FE is in an
ADE format and is a whooping 9MB, In fact the previous FE was in an MDB
format was up to 7MBs. I do use Wise for sending out the compressed update;
still the entire package comes out to 4MB, The update "IS" fast, the updater
downloads a new copy and then runs the setup.exe to gracefully close the
program, and install the new ade.

On 5/13/05, Gustav Brock <Gustav at cactus.dk> wrote:

> Hi Francisco
>
> But that isn't so.
> We are talking about two (2) seconds on a standard 100 Mb network. It's
> plain impossible to bug a server with this load.
>
> We have a client running a POS application. Power can be cut for such a
> workstation. I can't tell what a relief it is that the sales clerk just
> needs to reboot to have everything working with a fresh copy of the
> application.
>
> /gustav

> ... imagine having to wait for IE/FF/Opera to download the
> program everytime you wanted to browse the web!!!

-Francisco
http://pcthis.blogspot.com |PC news with out the jargon!