[AccessD] Global Variable

DWUTKA at marlow.com DWUTKA at marlow.com
Mon May 16 15:09:27 CDT 2005

That's a misnomer.  An unhandled error is not unrelated.  It only seems that
way in Access, because it's running in an interpretted environment.  Take a
VB .exe, and the program stops with an unhandled error.  Everything stops.
In an interpretted environment, stopping the execution of code doesn't close
Access, or the current database, it only stops the running code.  This does
not affect only Global Variables, it stops everything that is running.
Sure, you may get another error later on, resulting from a Global Variable
no longer having a value....however, you can also have a partially failed
process already.

Let's say you have 5 recordset processes that must be completed once they
are started.  If the 4th one fails, on an unhandled error, which is
worse...the fact that 4 and 5 didn't complete, or that your global variables
lost whatever values they were holding?

Eh?  Either way, the problem is not handling the errors, not that globals
'lose their values'....

Drew