[AccessD] MDAC deprecated will be no more. version 2.8 sp1 last of breed

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon May 30 15:08:31 CDT 2005

The end of the MDAC Redistributable
<http://blogs.msdn.com/dataaccess/archive/2005/05/23/421039.aspx>

http://blogs.msdn.com/dataaccess/archive/2005/05/23/421039.aspx

You will probably have to upgrade your OS, which may mean your database
has to remain in lockstep with the OS.
This maybe good or bad.

Microsoft Data Access Components version 2.8 sp1 is the last stand alone
redistributable of MDAC that Microsoft will ship.

"MDAC is a windows component: Upon shipping Windows 2000, Microsoft
included Microsoft Data Access Controls (MDAC) within the operating
system. This meant that MDAC timelines were dictated by operating system
release timelines. Also in Windows 2000, Microsoft added System File
Protection (SFP) , also known as Windows File Protection (WFP). The goal
of SFP was to reign in how important components within the operating
system get updated. This protection was particularly applied to
components that were used by other components which shipped with the
operating system (Like Display drivers, disk drivers, etc.).

Just like outside, MDACs is heavily used within Microsoft. There are a
number of components in the operating system that use MDAC. If we allow
external components to update MDAC components we risk having heavily
used operating system components fail. "

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.