[AccessD] ShellExecute to send short e-mailvia non-MS emailclients...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Wed Nov 2 14:25:30 CST 2005

Marty,

May I ask you to run this code below, which shows ShellExecute return value
in a message box?
When ShellExecute succeed this return value = 42.
What it's in your case?

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _
      Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation _
      As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, _
      ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

Public Sub TestSendMail()
Dim strAddr As String
Dim strSubj As String
Dim strBody As String
Dim lngRet As Long
    strAddr = "nobody at ghost.net"
    strSubj = "Prepare e-mail message via ShellExecute"
    strBody = "First line%0d%0aSecond line%0d%0aThird line..."
    lngRet = ShellExecute(0&, vbNullString, _
         "mailto:" & strAddr & _
          "?Subject=" & strSubj & _
          "&body=" & strBody, _
          vbNullString, vbNullString, vbNormalFocus)
    MsgBox "ShellExecute return value = " & lngRet, _
           vbInformation + vbOKOnly, "Test SE"
End Sub

Thank you,
Shamil