[AccessD] MySQL Newbie

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Fri Nov 4 08:45:05 CST 2005

See answers below...

Personally, I have not used it because I did not want to take
multiple steps backward.  With the new release, I will look at it again.

At 12:00 PM 11/3/2005, you wrote:
>From: "Joe Rojas" <JRojas at tnco-inc.com>
>Subject: [AccessD] MySQL Newbie
>To: "Access Developers discussion and problem solving"
>         <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
>
>Hi All!
>
>I have been keeping an eye on MySQL for sometime now. I have been
>hesitant to use it because I have been accustomed to using SQL
>Server and like using stored procedures and triggers.
>Now that MySQL 5 is out, I very interested in checking it out.
>
>I have some newbie questions.
>
>1) Does Access play nicely with MySQL?

I have not tried it yet.

>2) Is MySQL really free? Are there fees somewhere for using the software?

Technically no.  If you want to put your software into open source,
then it is free, otherwise there is a cost.

>3) Does MySQL come with management tools, like Enterprise Manager
>for SQL Server?

No. Unless there are tools they released with 5.  There are 3rd party tools.