[AccessD] Floor Plan Grid

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:55:29 CST 2005

William,

Don't get me wrong, I ain't no authority on embedded spreadsheets. But your
requirements are outlandish. My REAL first thought was to try doing it with
ASP or ASP.NET <http://ASP.NET>. VBScript or VB.NET <http://VB.NET> code to
display a table grid by reading the current status of each "cell" from a SQL
Server table or view. Each cell can be individually colored based on the
status; and each cell can contain, say, an anchor that displays the grid
co-ordinates. The anchor could fire a server-side routine to display another
window to allow the status of that cell to be changed.

The zooming could, I believe, be handled with JavaScript. The panning by
scroll bars.

How fast would a 40x50 grid (or whatever makes 2000 cells) render? Good
question. I'm just beginning to think more along the lines of browser-based
solutions than standard Access approaches.

Steve Erbach