[AccessD] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Wed Nov 9 11:04:17 CST 2005

Thanks Marty!

I'll keep this as a reference.  :-)

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of MartyConnelly
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:42 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

You have to watch out for a few problems because of the replacement of
SQL-DMO by SMO which may cause a conflict

Download SQL Server Management Studio Express instead of old Express
Manager if you are using latest version of Express CTP
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/default.aspx

FAQ: How to connect to SQL Express from "downlevel clients"(Access 2003,
VS 2003, VB 6, etc(basically anything that is not using .Net 2.0 or the
new SQL Native Client))
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2004/07/23/192044.aspx

FAQ: Installing SQL Express side by side with SQL 2000 Enterprise
Manager seems to break it,
Because of changes in the SQL Server 2005 metadata we have updated
SQLDMO, the new version is SQLDMO9, it should work with SQL Server
7/2000 and 2005. For backwards compatibility it is installed by SQL
Express so that existing DMO apps should just work. Due to the way that
SQLDMO is versioned, only one version can exist on a machine at one
time, so when Express is installed the SQLDMO9 version is the one that
is registered
http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2004/07/04/172956.aspx

SMO Replaces SQL-DMO

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=40993&DisplayTab=Ar