[AccessD] Transactions around huge transformations

DJK(John) Robinson djkr at msn.com
Wed Nov 16 11:12:55 CST 2005

Hi John

Experience, yes, though it was some years ago and I can't now recall details
about the volume of operations within each transaction.  Lots of appends to
multiple tables, at least - can't remember what else.  I think it must have
been on A97.

I'm not *aware* of any system limitations imposed by Access itself, but that
may just be ignorance!

My application was handling multiple batches of potential updates to the
database, and each batch *might* get rejected in its entirety as a result of
validation done on-the-fly while appending/updating the main tables.  But I
continued the processing of a batch even after finding an error, in the hope
of finding *all* errors, before the transaction was finally rolled back.
What was interesting (to me, at least) was that I logged any errors in
another table which therefore had to be appended/updated in a separate
workspace, to avoid being affected by the transaction roll-back on the first
one.  I did find a bug in Access (confirmed, thank goodness, by Shamil!)
relating to Access's reporting of the number of records in a table at some
point, but we concluded that it was essentially harmless - provided the user
didn't see the apparent discrepancy!  The resulting database ran happily
every week, and may still be doing so.  End of lamp-swinging.

Of course you'll take a copy first ...

Good luck
John