[AccessD] OT: Need new laptop

Tue Oct 4 11:01:09 CDT 2005

If it's getting slower at loading files up then perhaps it's time to defrag
the drive?

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of John W. Colby
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:27 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT: Need new laptop

Processors have finally (more or less) leveled out in terms of performance
increases, at least for the common man.  I bought a laptop with a 2.8g AMD64
with 1.5g RAM and a 1280 x 800 screen.  I replace the HD with a 7200 rpm 60g
unit which REALLY helped the load speed.  I bought it almost two years ago
and it is still an amazing machine.  Yea, the more I load on it the slower
the load, but the actual use is very fast.  I may be able to replace the
processor some day with a 4+g unit, not real sure if that will ever happen
really since it is the 754 pin processor, which would have to move to the
next lower die size in order to reduce the heat for the speed increase.  In
the end, I think this machine will still be fast enough even in another 3 or
4 years.  5 or 6 years is truly all you can expect out of a laptop anyway.