[AccessD] OT: Need new laptop

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 4 11:28:12 CDT 2005

I purchased my last laptop when in Ireland working with Mark Breen.  That
was November, 1997.  The laptop was a PII 233 mhz with a MAXIMUM of 180mb
ram, a 5 gbyte hard drive and 800x600 screen.  I actually replaced the
keyboard on that one because I spilled water on it.  In the end, the
backlight just got too dim to see it any more and it wasn't worth even
thinking about fixing.

I purchased my new machine about 2 years ago, so the old one lasted 5 years
- but in the end it was really too slow to use for much.

The new machine is an AMD64 2.8 ghz with a maximum of 2 gbytes of ram,
populated with 1.25 gbytes (a 1 gig stick and one of two original 256m
sticks), and I upgraded to the faster 7200 rpm drive.  I can still upgrade
the RAM by replacing the 256 mbyte stick with another 1 gbyte stick.  In
theory the processor is upgradeable as well (it is in a socket).  At this
point in its life it still FEELS as if it will be fast enough in three more
years, OTOH I haven't had an opportunity to feel any of the 4 ghz class
machines, and of course at this point they are moving away from faster clock
speeds to more processors.

I think in 3 more years the laptop itself will be "worn out" and I will hand
it down to my son, who will be around 7 by then and should be able to lug a
7 lb. machine around the house.

I paid right at $1500 for this machine so if I get 5 years out of it, that
will be $300 / year - not too bad for a laptop TODAY.  And in another few
years the machine I will get for $1500 will be even better.  Will it be as
much faster than this one as this one was over the PII 233 mhz?  Doubtful!

http://folding.stanford.edu/