[AccessD] OT: Firewall

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Mon Oct 10 08:24:26 CDT 2005

Rocky,

You could say that monitoring outbound comms is your last wall of defense.
It should never happen, and won't if your AV program protects you perfectly.
If a virus does slip by and starts trying to phone home, the software
firewall will prevent the outbound comms and notify you that a program is
attempting to talk to the internet.

This level is not about preventing infection, but about discovering that you
are infected.  Imagine that somehow something slipped past, and was watching
you log in to everything you log into these days.  As it tries to ship that
info out to the perps, the software firewall prevents the transmission,
saving your bacon, as well as notifying you that the program is trying to
transmit.

http://folding.stanford.edu/