[AccessD] CSV with no header

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Oct 11 16:35:33 CDT 2005

On 11 Oct 2005 at 10:46, Jim Moss wrote:

> If I had commas within strings, then I would select another delimiter like
> a |. I think that you can set that up in a specification.

In the Access Import/ExportText wizards you can specify any delimiter you
like and also specify whether to quote strings.  One problem is when
strings themselves contain quotes :-(

I prefer to use Tab delimited files.  That way fields can contain
commas,single/double quotes etc.  Tabs are a widely accepted
"standard"delimiter, you can specift Tab delimited as a Save format in
Excel and can also select Tab as the delimiter in ImportText/ExportText
specifications in Access.  If you are building your own file with Print#,
it's easy to throw in a Chr$(9) and not have to worry about what characters
are in the strings.

--
Stuart