[AccessD] Data interface The best way

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Oct 15 05:46:47 CDT 2005

Hi Shamil

Thanks for these links, though I have to admit that my patience is not to read all the comments carefully.

I still believe it can be a nightmare to maintain SPs - because you easily end up with incompatible versions of frontend(s) and database - thus these should be kept to basic features of the database and not for sophisticated business rules. But as always, it depends ...

However, I noticed this link:

http://www.mygenerationsoftware.com

and its interesting dOOdads:

http://www.mygenerationsoftware.com/portal/dOOdads/Overview/tabid/63/Default.aspx

"an elegant .NET architecture available in C# and VB.NET and capable of supporting any .NET managed data provider."
"Currently dOOdads are available for Microsoft SQL, Oracle, Firebird, Access, PostgreSQL, VistaDB, SQLite, and MySQL."

And for the DNN (DotNetNuke) fans:

http://scottschecter.net/Projects/dOOdadsOnDNN/tabid/84/Default.aspx

/gustav

>>> shamil at users.mns.ru 15-10-2005 09:26 >>>
Jim,

Thanks for the link.
I still think the following arguments of this article are getting obsolete:

<<<
- The best possible performance
- Removes the SQL code from the other layers of the application
- Prevents SQL injection attacks
- Prevents casual table browsing and modifications

Or I'd better say they are getting less important because with Application Roles and modern technlogies like ADO.NET and N-tier solutions all that problems above(as well as related) have effective and secure solutions.

Having secret passwords technique is quite different from Application Roles.
Secret passwords have to have superuser(s) defined. Application Roles don't.

I wouldn't want to start a "religious debate" here on "SP vs. Dynamic SQL" subject.
Here is an interesting link on such debate -
http://www.theserverside.net/news/thread.tss?thread_id=31953 - it's good enough to close the subject I guess? :)

BTW, here is a good and free CRUD generator -
http://www.microsoft.com/france/msdn/olymars/default.mspx for the developers who prefer CRUD SP to dynamic SQL or parameterized queries or other dynamic SQL techniques....

Shamil