[AccessD] Data Export Spec - Rev1

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Oct 22 17:07:20 CDT 2005

On 22 Oct 2005 at 12:35, John Colby wrote:

> OK, two things still need to be fleshed out:
>
> Custom field formatting - I have been looking at the formatting information
> created by the export wizard.  They use:
>
> DateDelim
> DateFourDigitYear
> DateLeadingZeros		(what is this?)

Whether to pad day  with leading zero  -  1 Jan 2005 or 01
Jan 2005. and 1/1/2005 or 01/01/2005

> DateOrder			(yyyymmdd kind of thing)
> DecimalPoint
> FieldSeparator
> TextDelim
> TimeDelim
>
> I have questions about placing the delimiting characters in the field.  Has
> anyone run into cases where the delimiter changes from field to field?

Some files require text to be delimited but not numbers so the "text
delimiter: characters would only be placed around certain fields.

> The other big thing remaining is what the header / footer records look like
> and how to handle them.  If they are just delimited data similar to any
> other delimited data, then I would suggest that we simply use the existing
> functionality, treat them like any other export spec, but figure out a means
> of specifying that a specific export is the header or footer of another
> export spec.

The only problem that I can see is that the data in footers is generally
summary information which is built as you loop through the records in the
body of the export.  Specifying an export spec to include calculated totals
on fields of another spec is likely to get messy in a hurry :-(
--
Stuart