[AccessD] Quarter hour increments

Scott Marcus marcus at tsstech.com
Mon Oct 24 08:09:39 CDT 2005

Gustav,

<< Hi Scott
<<
<< That's right, but you were suggesting validation at the table level.

And the other solution offers it at the application level. That's still
not a middle tier. To make it a middle tier, could be a silly decision.

<< Thus your business rule should catch this "error" silently,
<< and gently and/or quietly guide the user to the desired input
<< which - according to your business rule - in this case
<< would be to round up, down, or to closest quarter of an hour.

If you just round, the user gets accustom to that so that when they
really 'fat finger' the entry (27 oops I meant 07), it is rounded
(likely incorrectly) and probably ignored. I don't like that solution. I
would rather the user put in valid data than just rely on the program to
fix the time. I have learned that time tends to be very import (in my
case peoples pay depends on it) I want no mistakes when entering it. To
each his own...

<< Details like these handled in a way that has the user in
<< focus add quite a lot to the total user satisfaction.

And the first time you get called into a meeting as to why the data is
wrong and someone has to cut another check, you try explaining how you
thought it would make for a better user experience, you'll understand
where I'm coming from.

Scott Marcus
IT Programmer
TSS Technologies Inc.