[AccessD] Non-updateable Queries

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 27 18:31:53 CDT 2005

It could be many things so here is a checklist

How to troubleshoot errors that may occur when you update data in Access
queries and in Access forms

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328828

Also Have a look at the sample mdb's here especially update and query ones

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/TableOfContents3.asp

Some other things

Basically, the query is non-updateable if there are many-to-many or
many-to-one relationships represented in the output.  Access (actually SQL
in general) can't do updates in that case because it means that it would be
trying to update multiple rows in one or more of the underlying tables for
each of the individual rows that you are trying to update in your form.

If your SQL includes some functions that modify the
data that's in one or more of the tables (e.g., the Left$'s)
that too would make the resulting recordset non-updateable since there's no
way for Access (or SQL) to accept changes to a field that is the result
of a
function.

To be updateable, all output from the query(ies) must be the original
fields
without modification, calculation, concatenation, etc.

 Trying to do a 1-to-many-to-1 join in the query, this produces unique
records, but
access seems to dislike this approach and makes the recordset non
updateable.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.