[AccessD] Array faster in DLL?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Oct 28 14:09:11 CDT 2005

On 28 Oct 2005 at 15:29, Gustav Brock wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have some routines that manipulate data in and between some arrays.
> The arrays are not large but they are recalculated about 3 mio. times which runs on my machine to 90 seconds.
>
> I was wondering if there would be any significant speed increase by moving these routines to a DLL. I have no experience in writing such libraries but guess I could find > It would take me some time to program these, of course, and if the speed increase only could be expected to be, say, 30%, it wouldn't hardly be worth it.
>
> Does anyone (Drew, Stuart?) have experience about what to expect?

For something like that I'd definitely build a reall DLL in PowerBasic.
PB has built in array manipulation functions which are highly optimized and
the speed gains compared to doing this sort of thing in VB/VBA would be
dramatic.

Create an VB "DLL" is likely to have little effect on speed, it could even
slow it down because of the calling overhead.

I'm leaving town in a couple of minutes for the weekend, but email me off
list with your current array procedures and I'll take a look at building a
simple DLL for you when I get back.

--
Stuart