[AccessD] Autonumber Assigned Immediately

Reuben Cummings reuben at gfconsultants.com
Thu Sep 8 10:46:15 CDT 2005

I don't know why everyone is so adamant about no showing an autonumber.  I
agree technically they shouldn't be shown.

But sometimes a simple solution is the best.  For example, we currently have
some contracts to 'digitize' a state required form for several local
counties.  Our solution to digitize is merely enter the data into a DB we
created.  However, the paper copies have to remain available.  We number
every form we put in so that the user can then search and find a paper copy
by using the number generated by the software.

Initially we did this using the autonumber and it worked perfectly (we had
to abandon it to allow multiple entry persons for one county.

It is a row identifier and therefore always points to the same set of data.
If he wants to use it as an identifier let him.  I have.

Reuben Cummings
GFC, LLC
812.523.1017