[AccessD] Autonumber Assigned Immediately

Reuben Cummings reuben at gfconsultants.com
Thu Sep 8 19:44:04 CDT 2005

It can also be called over-building.

I have an app that works perfectly and has done so since 2000.  I wrote it
with simplicity in mind.  I had it ready for use in 6 months with very minor
bugs.  I sold that app to an engineering firm that thought "building it
right, the first time" was the way to go and immediately set out to
completely re-write the app.  The purchased the app in March of 2003 and in
October of 2004 gave up with nothing that worked and gave the whole thing
back.  They thought they needed to build everything to "the right way" -
they were overbuilding the project.

The question is "Who decides what the right way is?"  Is it mine that works
perfectly and is technically fine and has been making me good money since
2000...or the engineers that was written by the book, but never worked and
therefore never produced a penny?  BTW, I've seen the details of their work
records and they have over $300,000 invested in programming time.

Getting stuff to the market is sometimes more important than "perfect" code
or design.  Ask Netscape how writing perfect code worked out for them.

I'm not a programmer - at least I don't consider myself one.  I have never
had any formal programming training and therefore have never been caught up
in books and such.  I simply build stuff that works.  If my clients are
happy and I'm making money I have to conclude the design is just fine.

Reuben Cummings
GFC, LLC
812.523.1017