[AccessD] Autonumber Assigned Immediately

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 9 09:42:53 CDT 2005

JC -- you made this point once before and I thought it was so timely
discussion then -- as so now.

Martin and I actually collaborated on an article on pk's -- got a lot of
interesting feedback on that one. ;) Some of the feedbacks useless, some of
it's pretty good. As in any discussion, you always have a few that just want
to sound flashy, but really add nothing of substance.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-1045050.html?tag=search

I don't like the way the edited it though -- I guarantee you that neither
Martin or I said social security numbers were a good key candidate. Editors
aren't always the best technical minds and some publishers never ask -- they
just edit and publish. I'm not necessarily the best technical mind either
for that matter -- but I know where to find them and always ask lots of
questions. :)

FWIW, I have no real opinion on the subject -- it's a personal thing -- use
the keys you like and that work for you and respect my choice as well. ;)

Now here's a really controversial one:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-1050688.html?tag=sc

Martin fueled that one, so don't blame me -- I just wrote it up. ;) I got a
few ugly emails on this one -- some people chose to misunderstand the
article's real purpose. Again, I think we have been badly edited in a few
spots...

Susan H.

The fact that I use an autonumber PK does not in any way relieve me of the
responsibility of analyzing whether I need a unique index, and if so which
field or fields will make up the unique index.