[AccessD] SPAM-LOW: Re: DBF & Access: "external table is not inthe expectedformat"

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 9 15:39:54 CDT 2005

There were all sorts of problems with dbf files with Jet below SP7
Visual Fox Pro also uses dbf files
You might need the BDE engine to read DBASE 7 and 8  file types
You might need an ODBC driver from Merant.
Some of the ODBC drivers require old DOS 8.3 filenames
You might get away with
oConn.Open "Driver={Microsoft dBASE Driver (*.dbf)};" & _
           "DriverID=277;" & _
           "Dbq=c:\somepath"
Then specify the filename in the SQL statement:

oRs.Open "Select * From user.dbf", oConn, , ,adCmdText

http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=90#ODBCDriverForDBASE

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238431
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230125

--