[AccessD] DBF & Access: "external table is not in the expected format"

Ralph Bryce ralphb at cwgsy.net
Sat Sep 10 02:05:54 CDT 2005

Christopher

At 13:08 09/09/2005 -0600, you wrote:

>All,
>
>This is driving me nuts.  A client needs me to be able to link to their
>.dbf data file from Access.
>Every time I try to link or import, I get the error message:
>
>"external table is not in the expected format"
>
>I've tried searching Microsoft's site and have come up with little so
>far.  I'vetried linking and connecting
>  with DBASE5, III and IV.  I'm not sure what else to try.  Has anyone
> else seen this problem before?

Yes; it sounds as if you are trying to import FoxPro 2.6 tables with linked
memo files

IIRC it used to work in Access 97, but the drivers got dropped in Access 2000.

Here are some links:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/FoxPro/Q_21069380.html
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=733373
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824264
http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_Q235357.aspx

It's definitely possible; I had to do it some years ago when converting a
FoxPro 2.6
database to Access 2000. If none of these helps, I'll try and dig out the
relevant MS articles.

HTH

Ralph Bryce