[AccessD] A97 to SQL2000

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 16 10:26:37 CDT 2005

Hi Richard:

It is not difficult to move the tables up to a SQL server using SQLs import
tools 'Action/All tasks/Import'. That is the easy part. If the previous
designer has made a botch of the tables you have normalize then from there.
The next hurdle is moving or more accurately replacing the queries by
migrating and re-building them in Stored Procedures.

Next the big process. That is where you build a middle tier in your new
version of access that connects to the SQL server. My recommendation is to
use ADO-OLE but if time and money are issues much of the work can be done
through an ODBC connection... but there are some inherent issues with this
method; performance is one.

This process is a big one and it will require a length of time.

HTH
Jim