[AccessD] A2003: I need to connect to SQL Server

Darren DICK d.dick at tripledee.com.au
Sun Sep 18 09:27:41 CDT 2005

Brilliant
Thnaks David
Just What I needed

Darren
TripleDee Databases
T: 0424 696 433
-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of David Mcafee
Sent: Wednesday, 14 September 2005 10:09 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] A2003: I need to connect to SQL Server

Access ADP:
     File -> Connection
         Enter Server Name
         Select Login info (username / password)
         Select database

MDB:
   In the Access MDI window, click on tables
   Right click in any white area -> Choose link tables
   Change "Files of Type" to ODBC Databases
   Select your datasource*

   * IF your datasource has not been created:
   Click on Machine Data Source tab
   Click on New
   Choose your datasource type (lets use System Data
Source)
   Click Next, scroll to bottom and choose SQL Server
   Click Finish (even though you're not)
   Name the DataSource (so you can find it the next time you link tables)
"DarrensSQLConnection" (or something more meaningful)
   Give it a description (usually just copy the line
above)
   Select the server
   Click Next
   Select Login type / Fill in Uname & PW
   Click Next
   Check box that reads: Change the default databse
to:
   Select DB
   Click Next
   Click Finish (you're still not finished)
   Test connection, if good click OK

   Now you are back where we left off before creating the Datasource

   Enter Login ID and password
   Press OK
   Select your tables (but dont press OK)
   click on Save password (many forget to do this)
   Now press OK.

Hope this helps.

David McAfee