[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

Ken Ismert KIsmert at texassystems.com
Tue Sep 27 12:05:33 CDT 2005

>>But AFIK .NET pCode is almost human readable, and
>>certainly very easy to reverse engineer.

You have a good point, Lambert, and that prompted me to do some quick
research:

.NET programs are compiled to MSIL (a kind of p-Code) a common
Intermediate Language which is then executed by the Common Language
Runtime (CLR). MSIL is stored in .NET assemblies, which, along with
descriptive metadata, are both housed in the DLL and EXE files produced
by .NET compilers. The CLR converts MSIL to machine code using a JIT
compiler at execution time.

Because MSIL is a fairly straightforward conversion of a higher-level
language, it is easy to decompile, especially with the help of the
metadata.

However, Code Obfuscators exist which will protect the internals of your
code. In fact, Visual Studio .NET 2003 and 2005 ship with basic
obfuscators.

So, you are right, .NET is not secure 'out of the box'. But, there are
well known ways to secure your code. The level of security you want will
determine how much money and effort you are willing to spend.

Certainly, there is a tug-of-war between obfuscator and the decompiler
technology. But, at least in .NET you can get a reasonable level of
security for your hard-won code.

With Access, there is nothing beyond the unacceptably insecure mde
format. And that seems unlikely to improve.

-Ken