[AccessD] The future of Access, .NET and SQL

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 28 08:59:51 CDT 2005

Oh technical stuff -- easily -- at least until you're somebody in children's
literature -- but mostly because the competition isn't as stiff. I compete
with just a few people and my publishing contacts are old and established.

Children's literature is different -- everybody wants to do it and
publishers have their pick of the litters. To make a living, you have to be
very, very good or versatile -- I'm working on the latter, having written
articles for Weekly Reader and now working on some historical non-fiction
books (which must match the state curriculum standards) -- just to get the
credentials. Sprinkled in with that is also some basic human interest type
stuff -- when I can think of a good story -- but it's all non-fiction -- I
am not the next JK Rowlings. :)

There are some authors out there making a living just from writing for
children (that includes everything from picture books to young adult novels
and nonfiction), but not very many. I've been writing freelance since 1998,
and done well enough for myself, but I'm just tired of jumping through all
of MS's hoops. The truth is, I can't jump through them anymore -- I've
reached my hoop saturation point. :) When I listen to you guys talk about
all the different technologies, etc. I just get a headache. I don't want to
work that hard anymore. If you love it, that's different -- but I've just
been making a living at something I could do -- I'm not passionate about
computers. :)

Susan H.

Which pays more?