[AccessD] Access Application - per unit cost

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Wed Apr 5 15:27:08 CDT 2006

Marty, it's  a great simple story about the fence building - I will borrow
it from you to tell to my customers - OK? :)

>  a day per form and two days per report (I'm not
> good at reports <g>).
I'd roughly estimate 4 (four) days per form with "smart" user-friendly
behavior or report whatever it's  in the final system when a lot of advanced
queries and coding is involved and when customer's requirements and
understanding of their own business area and what they wanted to get from an
application developed for them are unclear to say the least (and even if
they have huge BDUF specs this often isn't a sign they know their own
business and what they wanted you to have developed for them in the end).

I mean if the final system is roughly planned to have, say, 100 forms and
reports then its development(all the objects including database model,
documentation etc.) can be roughly estimated as 400 man/days ~= 17man/months
(22.5 workdays/month). Based on that rough estimation fixed cost can be
calculated.
If they(customer(s)) are ready to pay that in the end - fine - prepare more
detailed plan and start working delivering regularly parts of the
application. If you'll be ready quicker - get a bonus and leave them the
rest of the fixed price. If you will (soon) find that even that time isn't
enough to deliver what they are now see absolutely different than in the
beginning - explain them what happens, trade the new fixed price - if they
agree - continue, if not - quit - it promise to be "endless" story for you
and for the customer, which will end sooner or later without any
satisfaction nor on your nor on their part...

Of course working on hourly rate as many say here is more realistic approach
but 4 days per form/report for advanced applications seems to work rather
well - just from real life experience...

Shamil