[AccessD] Access Application - per unit cost

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 7 09:41:58 CDT 2006

These are interesting times.

Yesterday a programmer who is working with my company went to see a new
client as I was out of the city for a couple of days on business.

The client would like a custom made complex piece of code that would 'screen
scrape' from other web sites so his site would be able to present a list of
the best prices... a good idea. We had previously agreed on principle but
had not negotiated a price.

The client presented the young programmer with his position.
First, we were to be on an hourly rate or when ever the client called.
Second, the client would pay the programmer directly and not go through the
company.
Third, the maximum rate he would pay would be $12.00 and hour as he had two
'east Indian' programmers, who had submitted bids of $5.00 per hour but felt
that he should try and support local talent.

.. and a rider..

The client wants all code made to be his and if we ever used similar code
again, in another paying contract we would pay him 50% of gross profits.

I must say, I am almost speechless but please feel free to comment.

Jim