[AccessD] SQL Server 2005 SP1 released today

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Thu Apr 20 03:01:34 CDT 2006

Take care people...

>From another list...

First impression ... this is the worst sql service pack for years.

After installing and testing the CTP-SP1 build 2040 on 4 development and
test servers for 4 weeks with no errors, we decided to test the official
SP1 build 2047.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cb6c71ea-d649-4
7ff-9176-e7cac58fd4bc&DisplayLang=en

The details:

Server A (32bit Win2003 and 32bit SQL2005): Installation runs smoothly,
no errors on first sight. But then discovered, that sql is still
reporting to be build 2040 (CTP-SP1) and we believe it, because it's the
only test server which is fully functional (Integration Services) at the
moment. But installer said SP1 Installation successful ... ???

Server B (32bit Win2000 and 32bit SQL2005): Aborted with Client
Components installation. Found out that 630MB free on drive C isn't
enough. After clearing 800MB on C, installation runs with no errors.
After rebooting can't connect to Integration Services (HRESULT:
0x8002801D, TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap)
:-(

Server C (64bit Win2003 and 64bit SQL2005): First installation aborted
with a failure on Integration Services, second try after a reboot says
everything ok, no errors. But after a second reboot Integration Services
service can't start. (The SQL Server Integration Services service failed
to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the
start or control request in a timely fashion.) :-(

Server D (32bit Win2003 and 32bit SQL2005): Same as Server B, aborted
with Client Components installation. But even after the successful
second install has now a mixture installation with SP1 (build 2047) and
CTP-SP1 (build 2040). After rebooting can't connect to Integration
Services
(HRESULT: 0x8002801D, TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED
Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap) :-(

Well, after this experience we will stay on CTP-SP1 (build 2040) until
there's a usable SP1.

Does anybody else tried the SP1 already? What are your experiences?

Peter

cheers

Michael M