[AccessD] Splitting data from one row into two

Gould, Nanette nanette.j.gould at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Apr 24 12:39:58 CDT 2006

Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know if I hit any snags.

Nanette

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Bobby Heid
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 11:24 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Splitting data from one row into two

Nanette,

I first thought about using a union query, but that would duplicate the
EmpID.  So I'd probably use a temporary table two queries.

Temptable layout:

Fld1 Fld2 Fld3 Fld4 Fld5

Then populate the table with something like (air code):

strSQL="SELECT EmpID,PayGroup,FirstName,LastName,AwardAmt " & _
	"FROM SomeTable " & _
	"ORDER BY EmpID ASC;

strSQL2="SELECT RRC_RRT,PayrollProcAcct,EarningsCode " & _
	"FROM SomeTable " & _
	"ORDER BY EmpID ASC;

set rs=db.openrecordset(strsql,dbopensnapshot)
set rs2=db.openrecordset(strsql2,dbopensnapshot)
with rs
   do while not.eof
	'insert 1st line of data
	strSQL3="INSERT INTO TempTable (Fld1,Fld2,Fld3,Fld4,Fld5) " & _
		"VALUES(" & _
			cstr(!EmpID) & "," & _
			cstr(nz(!PayGroup),'') & "," & _
			cstr(nz(!FirstName),'') & "," & _
			cstr(nz(!LastName),'') & "," & _

			cstr(nz(!AwardAmt),'0') & ";"
	db.execute strsql3,dbfailonerror	'insert the 1st line

	'insert 2nd line of data
	strSQL3="INSERT INTO TempTable (Fld1,Fld2,Fld3) " & _
		"VALUES(" & _
			cstr(nz(!RRC_RRT),'') & "," & _
			cstr(nz(!PayrollProcAcct),'') & "," & _
			cstr(nz(!EarningsCode),'') & ";"
	db.execute strsql3,dbfailonerror	'insert the 2nd line

	.movenext
      loop

Now you can dump export the table to Excel.

Bobby