[AccessD] Rbase

JHicks at lincoln.ne.gov JHicks at lincoln.ne.gov
Mon Apr 24 16:32:56 CDT 2006

Don't bother with the ODBC drivers.  If my memory is correct, they don't
always work very well.  We have converted almost all of our RBase 4.5 to
Access 2000 (over 50 applications for some 200 RBase databases).  The
process we use is to export each RBase table to DBF files, then import
those into Access.  Your client's RBase has all the necessary tools (i.e.
Gateway) to do the export from RBase.  One gotcha is that whoever set up
the RBase tables may have used some dBase reserved words as part of the
table or column names.  Column  names will also be truncated at eight
characters.  If so, you can issue the RENAME COLUMN command at a R> prompt
to change those.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me off list.

Jim Hicks
Systems Analyst Programmer II
City of Lincoln
Information Services
402-441-7199

             "Gustav Brock"
             <Gustav at cactus.dk
             Sent by:                  <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
             accessd-bounces at d                                          cc
             atabaseadvisors.c
             om                                                    Subject
                                       Re: [AccessD] Rbase

             04/24/2006 11:52
             AM

             Please respond to
             Access Developers
              discussion and
                  problem
             solving<accessd at d
             atabaseadvisors.c
                    om>

Hi Liz

The ODBC driver is here:

  http://www.oterro.com/

However, if an eval. is for download I can't see.

/gustav

>>> ldoering at symphonyinfo.com 24-04-2006 18:37:39 >>>
Dear List,

I have a client who is running (limping) their billing through a thing
built in Rbase 4.5 or so.  I've built them a shiny new Access system
that makes all their dreams come true.

Now for the tricky part.  Rbase will kindly allow me to download an eval
copy of their latest and greatest (7.5), but the eval version has a
charming feature:  no exports allowed.  So I can open the tables and
view the contents, but I can't make a .xls, .csv., .db or .dbf out of
what I see.

Of course my fondest wish is for a little odbc driver that would allow
me to connect to these tables from Access, but I haven't turned up one
of those anywhere.

So, short of buying Rbase (a non-trivial expense) or driving to the
client (one hour each way), has anyone got any great ideas?

Thanks,

Liz Doering
Senior Developer
Symphony Information Services