[AccessD] Scheduling a macro to run

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Thu Apr 27 21:25:36 CDT 2006

I wrote the macro in Outlook.  Currently it just runs when selected but it
would be nice to set it in an outlook "appointment" such that when the
appointment fired it ran the macro.  Seems so logical.

From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of StaRKeY
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 5:48 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Scheduling a macro to run

Hi John,

It's not clear to me what the environment settings in your case are like but
you could ofcourse write your own piece of code in an MDB to schedule and
send the mail using Outlook MAPI and have an Access instance 24/7 running.
If coding like this is not an option and the macro already exists, I assume
the macro does the complete job and all you need is the scheduling part,
then why not use the Outlook object model in an Access mdb and again keep it
running 24/7 and have vba code execute the macro using the objectmodel.

Ofcourse if you have SQL server around Karen's way is better in my opinion
since running Acces 24/7 would not be my first choice though windows also
has a scheduler which you could probably use(!). In this case not only could
you work with an ActiveX but also it would be possible to write some code to
execute an Access mdb (including an autoexec ofcourse) which triggers the
macro or a simple VB application, in both cases making use of the Outlook
object model.

I have to be honest though, I haven't checked the Object model for this
answer as we speak so there is a possiblity that using the object model is
out of the question regarding an Outlook macro but I assume it can be done
this way.

Hope it keeps your fantasy going;)

Regards,
Eric Starkenburg