[AccessD] Move update

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Aug 5 09:37:15 CDT 2006

Just an update for the list members.  If you remember, 6 or 8 months ago I
was asking questions of list members re North Carolina.  Well, last week we
moved out of the house we were leasing, and drove down to Hudson, NC - our
"official" home town now.

 <http://www.caldwellcochamber.org/main.asp>
http://www.caldwellcochamber.org/main.asp

 <http://www.city-data.com/city/Hudson-North-Carolina.html>
http://www.city-data.com/city/Hudson-North-Carolina.html

Hickory is 13 miles away towards the south.

 <http://www.city-data.com/city/Hickory-North-Carolina.html>
http://www.city-data.com/city/Hickory-North-Carolina.html

We managed to find an awesome house - 3300 heated square feet, 1700 unheated
(basement), 4 bedroom, 4 & 1/2 bathroom, with an office above the new master
bedroom, and a rec room in the basement, on 1 acre, for $260K. It's a ranch
built in 1990 with a huge master bed/bath/office extension added in 2000.
The house is really beautiful, built by a builder for his daughter and so
has all top quality materials and workmanship. It sits all by itself on a
one lane road, about 1000 feet off of the "main road" (which isn't all that
busy either), so there is no traffic to speak of on our "driveway". Woods
and fields on either side of the house, though there is a very nice (well
kept) subdivision across the "road" (driveway) from us, we look at their
back yards out across our front yard.  There are about 10 tiny springs that
run water down the back of my property creating a small creek, so my 5 year
old son Robbie is down there every day building dams and looking for
salamanders and crawdads.

We are kind of "out in the country", with a couple of small towns within two
miles. There is a small convenience store / gas station (which sells gas for
$2.87 / gallon at the moment) just about a quarter mile up the main road.
Two supermarkets and a CVS pharmacy about 2 miles away, and a huge Lowes
hardware about 4 miles away. North about 8 miles is Lenoir which has all the
typical shopping. South about 13 miles is Hickory with even more shopping.
60 miles south is Charlotte, with the closest major airport.  We really like
being outside of town so this is a perfect match for us.

We arrived Saturday morning (July 22nd), the truck with all out possessions
arrived Monday, and we almost killed ourselves getting it unloaded (with a
lot of volunteer help - they refused payment!). My office is a mess but I am
slowly digging out. Lots to do still. We got a refrigerator last Tuesday,
and had a sectional delivered Wed. We sold a lot of our furniture since
Hickory is known as the furniture capital of the US and furniture is really
cheap down here.  So we then purchased a beautiful 60" round solid oak
dining table with 6 chairs for an incredible price!

I got internet on July 25th - cable - 3 mbit down, 256k up. Not as fast as I
am accustomed to but serviceable. I have tested remote access to my client
DIS and it works.

So basically, the move is done.  I am still running around getting business
done - drivers license, register car, getting business checking, DBA
paperwork etc. but we are now home in Hudson.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting