[AccessD] Access FE for storing and viewing photos

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Aug 28 07:19:31 CDT 2006

On 28 Aug 2006 at 4:53, Jim Lawrence wrote:

 The best method I have found is to simply store the pictures as separate
> items in their own folder and do not try to inset them into the database.
> They will load faster, you can use a number of formats, like jpg and the
> database can then handle thousands picture, if they are not imbedded.

I agree 100%.   Storing pictures inside a database results in huge files,
it's much more efficient to store then separately in a compact format such
as jpg and load them on demand.

> Just
> use a straight IMAGE object and fill its picture property with the name of
> the picture like "\\Myserver\MyPictures\UncleFred.jpg"

I prefer to avoid hard coded paths in this situation.

Where possible I store the photos with the application or in a subdirectory
below it and use something like:
 CurrentProject.Path & "\Pictures\UNcleFred.jpg"
This lets me move  the application and it's associated pictures easily.

--
Stuart