[AccessD] ms-access variant of @@rowcount or rowcount

Mark A Matte markamatte at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 10:15:51 CST 2006

Something I use...but has a problem keeping the numbers as you scroll is
below.  I use this in a query that populates a temp table...and the numbers
are always correct and sequential...just not good for a display query.

1.  put the following in a module:

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit
Global lngTableCounter As Long

Function MyAutoCtr(prmAny)
'Trick is to pass a field from the input table(s) so that function called
for each record
'otherwise Access thinks that the function will always return the same value
and
'only calls it once, and every output record gets the same value
MyAutoCtr = lngTableCounter
lngTableCounter = lngTableCounter + 1
End Function

2.  In your query use the following field:

Countfld: MyAutoCtr([fldYourPK])

3.  Everytime you need to rerun this query, the following needs to be
executed somewhere(I put it behind the button that launches my query:

lngTableCounter = 1

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mark A. Matte