[AccessD] Independent Consulting

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Wed Dec 6 21:21:13 CST 2006

...lol ...didn't realize that was still around :)

...Barb ...work on building your references BEFORE you take the leap if at
all possible ...look for charitable institutions that need help and do it
for free or nearly so ...but do it as if they were paying your top rate
...making them ecstatic is the goal ...and understand that it is not their
reference per se that you are after but that of other business people that
are inevitably involved in such orgs ...they get to know you and the quality
of work you do and a lot of them will pass your name on ...I still get calls
that originated with a children's home I've not worked with in three years
now.

...tap into accountants and small systems support consultants ...they rarely
have database skills themselves but they have plenty of clients who have
constant needs ...if you can get one or more accountants or system guys
giving you an occasional referral, you'll be earning a living before you
know it ...chamber of commerce meetings can be productive but I've found
that hooking into my own client's accountant and systems people is the best
way to spread your referral base.

...keep your expenses under control ...spend absolutely nothing that you
don't have to ...you don't need a fancy office or a new computer or a
half-page ad in the YP ...not unless your private savings or retirement
check are a lot larger than mine ...and watch the government types, they'll
kill you with mind numbing crap like fire inspections twice a year in your
home office at $180 a whack ...the list is endless :(

...buy insurance very carefully if you need it ...a health savings account
with a very high deductible works best for me but I've so far been fortunate
to be in good health.

...otoh, if you make it through your first year you may be like me and
wonder why in the heck you didn't do it 20 years sooner :)

William Hindman