[AccessD] WORKGROUP FILES

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Fri Dec 8 16:50:47 CST 2006

FWIW I had the same problem last week. I solved it by requiring a cold boot
(only two users) and deleting the lock file. For some strange reason warm
boots didn't do the trick.
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: JWColby [mailto:jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com]
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 4:39 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] WORKGROUP FILES

Charlotte,

I didn't realize there were multiple workgroup files.  In fact I am not
absolutely certain that is the problem.  I have always, from the day I
walked in to the client, logged in as administrator.  If I needed to
troubleshoot a problem that a user was having, I went to a user's desk and
looked at it.  Now I live a thousand miles away and must remote in to
manipulate the database.

I am trying to get at data in a SQL Server database from Access.  I linked
the tables using odbc and logged in as my Admin user (of course).  I can
open the database and see the data in the tables.

USERS get an error IMMEDIATELY when they open the database.  I think it is
because of code that is trying to set up access to these tables, but I can't
be sure because I am not there. So...

I asked the client to set me up a "regular user" (jwcolby) on my normal
desktop machine (which is now locked away on a shelf in the server room,
serving just me for remote access).  My user can not even open a BE, FE,
library, NOTHING.  I get an error message "The Microsoft Jet Engine cannot
open the file c:\yadayada.  It is already opened exclusively by another user
or you need permission to view its data".  I can build blank databases just
fine with the new jwcolby user.

Sounds like an MDW/workgroup problem to me.

So... I am trying to determine what workgroup file is being used by the
ADMINISTRATOR user, where it is located, and how to join that workgroup by
the jwcolby user that is being denied access to everything.

Is that clear?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting