[AccessD] Operating Systems, Progress, The Illusion of Progess, etc.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 22 22:28:58 CST 2006

OT:

<rant mode on>
The speed at which code is now expected to be produced, tested and shipped
to market is the real issue. So many of my fellow coders; find themselves
continually being prompted to produce more, better and faster. There seems
to be little concern about the tightness, documentation or strict
classes/top down modular.

A number of years ago clients were just happy to get operational code and at
the prices they had to pay they expected and got top quality work. Now the
emphasis is on speed and price and as long as its functions that is
acceptable. I think MS is culpable for much of the current atmosphere.

They are excellent salespeople and they have sold the general public that by
'buying-up' they can get complex solutions with no more than some drags and
drops and few quick hacks. Now we are being expected to live up to that
dream.
</rant mode off>

Still on OT Friday mode:

Art gallery Curator to an artist:

Great news; all your paintings have sold!
The show is completely sold out!!

Interestingly, the lady who bought them all says she is your doctor.

... You may be 59 but I am slowly gaining on you.

Have a good Christmas all
Jim