[AccessD] Manipulating Excel Cells

Robin Robin at rolledgold.net
Wed Feb 1 10:55:56 CST 2006

John,
Is this any help
http://www.devx.com/tips/Tip/14153
Rgds
Robin

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of John Colby
Sent: 01 February 2006 15:51
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] Manipulating Excel Cells

I'm baaaack.  ;-)

Here's the deal.  I am working with a spreadsheet that has columns of
systems and rows of documents.  Therefore each cell represents a
system-document.  BTW, this was a "source" for me to build a pair of
tables
- tblSystem and tblDocument.  I then added a field to tblDocument called
SpreadsheetRow and a field to tblSystem called SpreadsheetColumn.

We are tracking the receipt of these documents.  The client now wants to
see, back in his original spreadsheet, the "status" of a given system
document using colors to express the status - white = not assigned, red
= not received, yellow = partial receipt, green = received.

So... I have to go "poke colors" out into the spreadsheet.  I have
discovered the "area" property which has a color attribute.  What I need
now is a translation from the column LETTERS to a column number since
for some bizarre reason the columns have letter names but cells are
referenced by column numbers.  "Brain damaged children" as Bill Cosby
would say.

Does anyone have code for manipulating cells by cell(intRowNumbers,
strColNames)?