[AccessD] Missing records

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Feb 3 09:33:46 CST 2006

John,

The first thing to do is examine the relationships for the tables missing
records.  If "cascade delete" is turned on (a NO-NO in my humble opinion)
then deleting a single record (such as a customer) will (after a warning of
course) delete ALL child/grandchild/...greatgreatgreat records.

Let's say that a client has invoices and invoice line items.  Yep, all gone.
Repair service calls / line items?  Yep, all gone.  Payments?  Yep, all
gone.

Cascade delete of a single (for example) customer record WILL delete all
child records, however far down they go.  Potentially dozens or even
thousands of records, all gone because the user was "just deleting a single
customer record".

I pretty much design my databases to never turn on Cascade delete, and then
build delete queries tied to buttons which only supervisors can see/click.