[AccessD] Conversion

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 6 19:55:26 CST 2006

Have a look around this portal for general Internationalizing info
http:// www.microsoft.com/global

There are a lot of little things that will drive you daffy, make sure
you understand that VBA and VB6 internal routines
sometimes only work with ANSI strings and not full Unicode strings. Also
certain things in the IDE
will only work with ANSI strings.

I just had to rename some filenames into Arabic from fields in an Access
Unicode Table
I thought I just had to do
Name "c:\oldname.txt as "c:\" & RS!ArabicField & ".txt"
But this only works on ANSI strings and is restricted  to my WinXP
Canadian codepage.
the VBA "Name" function "helps" you by translating your original Unicode
to Ansi
Any illegal Ansi characters appear as "?" or something weird.
So I can only use the 256 characters for ISO-8859-1 which covers some
western european languages
rather than the 64K characters for Unicode. Even google missed this sort
of thing in some of their first
versions of xml output from their desktop search engine.

To get it to rename an English file to a Unicode Filename using suitable
VBA Unicode functions

Sub RenameFileToUnicode(strTheOriginalFile As String, strChineseUnicode
As String)
    Dim filesys As Object
    Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    'add a file extension like jpeg or txt
    filesys.GetFile(strTheOriginalFile).Name = strChineseUnicode & ".txt"
    Set filesys = Nothing
End Sub

Also make sure, if you are doing multi-language translations, it can
only be done
with US MS Office and it's downloadable MUI Language Packs. It is nearly
impossible
with Localized version of Office like a French Office version.
see
Options for Using Office 2003 Editions in Multiple Languages
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/language/choosing.mspx

Smart Access article-  How to create a multi-language application in Access

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsmart04/html/sa04g1.asp

Set up Office 2000 and your computer to work in another language

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA010549991033.aspx

Michael Kaplan's blog
He also has an out of print book that is useful on VB6 Internationalization.

Technical Lead from Globalization, Infrastructure, Fonts, and Tools at
Microsoft.
http://209.34.241.67/michkap/archive/category/8717.aspx

--
Marty Connelly