[AccessD] DBA web site update

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 7 11:25:39 CST 2006

Hi Gustav:

My purposes were to be able to work with disconnected data in the days of
DAO using getrows and callbacks for populating lists and combos.  A single
one row table of timestamps was read to determine wheter the data needed to
be refreshed.  Users are able to choose which column on which to sort and a
sort direction just like the Windows Explorer window in detail view.  In the
days before we moved to Terminal Server, this saved tremendously on LAN
traffic and was much faster than requerying with a different sort order.
.
Everything you can return by way of getrows converts well to string and
nothing can be swapped faster on a 32 bit OS than a long.  Much database
data requiring this kind of sorting begins as string format so I settled on
strings as a lowest common denominator for array work.  As yet I still lack
the clout to install any DLLs or third party software on our systems so the
memory copy routines proved to be the best solution I could provide that
addressed all situations.

I haven't played much with real disconnected recordsets to determine whether
they offer any advantages over working with arrays.  I once clocked the
difference between setting the sorted property true vs sorting my data
before running the .additem in VB6 and found that sorting the data yourself
with memory copy was faster.  Of course, not all data originates from
recordsets.  In my case, I do a fair bit of work with the file system and
never go through the intermediate step of placing the data into a table or
recordset.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta