[AccessD] [Fwd: Project Notification]

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Wed Feb 8 21:58:22 CST 2006

Rocky,

I do work with them.  I have one client that I got through them, but I
suspect only because they wanted to actually meet to discuss it and they
were down on the coast.  I have actually bid on perhaps 50 projects and
landed exactly one.

However if you watch what goes by on that site you can get a good laugh.

"I need a spider to scan the major bookseller web sites, looking for my
books.  I need it to find the lowest price, then bid one cent below that
lowest price.  Email me the results.  And the total cost for this project
must be $75 or less".

Uhhhh... OK.  Idiot.  Unfortunately quite typical.

So yes, we are competing with India, Russia and China.  OTOH, we also
probably have list members in India, and Shamil is in Russia.  China is less
likely.

Guru.com claim that less than 30% of all the contracts go overseas, but you
have heard the old saw about "liars, damned liars, and statisticians".  My
guess is that less than 40% of all contracts even get awarded, with 75% of
them going overseas. 75% of 40% = 30%.

And in spite of it all, I still respond if they sound like they have a clue
(which isn't all THAT often).