[AccessD] Inserting text in a word document

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:02:40 CST 2006

Ditto on WordBasic

I often protect documents for formfields so insertafter doesn't work if you
set the bookmark property for a Word textbox field.  This lets me set
default values in a form.

        owdDoc.Bookmarks("ProjectName").Select
        owdApp.Selection.Text = strProjectName

where owdDoc is an object variable pointing to a Word.Document and owdApp is
an object variable pointing to an instance of Word in which the Document is
open.

My system sends a collection of data elements from one or more recordsets
using a key matching the first portion of the bookmark name up to a
delimiter.  The balance of the bookmark name determines formatting
properties.  A second delimited part of the bookmark name allows bookmarks
drawing from the same data collection item to write to multiple bookmarks
(you can't have more than one bookmark with the same name in a document).
This way, the document controls the formatting of the data.  In some
documents you may want "Wednesday, the 4th day of September) where as other
documents are fine with "9/4/2006".  Also, if a field, like a person's name
appears more than once, "John;", "John;1" and "John;2" can all pull the
collecion 'John' item.

I iterate the Document's bookmark collection and throw the matching
collection item at the bookmark.  Generally I use a recordset's field name
or alias as the collection key.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta