[AccessD] (OT) VB Express + SQL Server Express ??

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 11 11:16:07 CST 2006

Although I have no experience with VB Express, I dabbled a bit in VB6 a
little while back and found that a lot of what you do with Access with
subforms can be done with control arrays and grids.  You don't get the
automatic filtering of data in the grids, but if you work with single record
recordsets and use just in time data retrieval for subforms in Access, the
process is analagous in VB6.

What I missed most in VB6 were the list and combo features you had in
Access.  Sure I wrote an autocomplete and not in list routine for VB combos
(wasn't a property to be enabled), and multi column data mandated grids, but
you were required to gain a modicum of control.  In VB6 you could do more
with drag and drop and you were required to do a bit more work but you had
more control in exchange.  I'm curious about the capabilities of VB Express
controls.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta