[AccessD] Convert Access App to VB.Net (was FYI: Good news -VBA in Office 12 and beyond...)

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Tue Feb 21 15:16:29 CST 2006

I don't know where to start, Dan.  It would be a total rewrite, but the
program logic could be used to build the new app.  Learning curve is
steep because *everything* is an object and doing anything to it (like
populating a string that already has text) creates a NEW object with the
same name.  You don't do things the same way, but it is much easier to
get at and manipulate data, to create datasets that include related
fields from another table, to create reusable code.  The list is
endless.  ADO.Net is GREAT, and I *liked* ADO.  Building forms and user
controls is quite different from Access because you have so much control
over the objects and their behavior.  Reports can be used in our
web-based app or on Windows without modifications.  Do you want to bind
different parts of a form or report to different data sources?  No
problem.  Do you want to bind controls to the top, left, right, bottom
of the container so they move when the object resizes?  No problem.  Do
you want a panel to fill its allocated space and stay that way through
form resizes?  No problem.  Do you want custom behavior from a control?
Create your own and use it in you apps.

I'm a fan, as you can tell, but it is also easier to sell clients on
.Net apps than on Access applications, justifiably or not.  We build our
apps so that we can connect to either an Access or SQL Server backend
without changing any of the code, which makes it easy to switch a client
over when they need the added capacity of SQL Server.  It takes planning
and learning and effort, so don't do it unless you are willing to commit
to those things and you are willing to use managed code.  There is no
point at all in building one-off code in .Net.  That's a waste of time
and energy.

Charlotte Foust