[AccessD] Contract

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Fri Feb 24 12:03:46 CST 2006

Hi Richard,

I'm having exactly this issue with a large customer I currently have.  What
we've worked out is this:  If they are having trouble contacting me (or my
company), they will send a registered letter to my legal address.  If they
don't hear from me in 30 days, then they have the right to claim ownership
of the application by sending another registered letter making that claim.
Their ownership obtained this way would be non-exclusive and
non-transferable, so it won't affect your ability to continue your business
as before, assuming you didn't lose the fight with the truck!

Actually, they have a good point in wanting to work on this on their own if
you can't or won't provide a timely response to their request for an update
or modification.  To cover this, I allow the IT department, by contract, to
make any modifications they want at any time.  Their working on this will
not change any state of ownership.  Of course, I won't warranty any problems
caused by them.  In practice, the IT department will probably prefer to not
get involved in modifications to software that will continue to be
maintained by an outside entity, so you should still get first crack at the
modification work.

You could consider having someone you trust as a developer to be your
'backup' if you're currently busy.

Good Luck!
Dan