[AccessD] Moving some object's recordsource to SQL Server

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Tue Jan 24 23:09:47 CST 2006

I need a "step by step" if you will of moving some object to SQL Server -
combo or form - where the Access query was filtered and the filter won't
work in SQL Server.  For example a reference to a control on a form.

I know that I have to create a SP in SQL Server that accepts a parameter.
How do I "connect" to that query from Access?  Is it a n ODBC (or other?)
link, just like a table?  Then how do I feed the parameters to the SP out in
SQL server.

I am getting ready to do this and am way under prepared for this.

Environment:

SQL Server Express 2005
Access (Office) XP or 2003
Fes now talking to the SQL Server BE using the standard (ODBC I think)
"links" that the upsize wizard created when it moved the tables.

The FE seems to work as it did before except slower.  Now if I can start
replacing the slow "Access Queries over ODBC" with "SQL Server SPs with
passed params????" I might be able to see what this is capable of.  I just
haven't a clue how to move to that "SP with Params".