[AccessD] Himachi

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 07:33:59 CST 2006

  I don't know about the root kit, but I'm not sure I'd use the software in
any case.

  A quick read through the FAQ's and Forums shows a pattern of problems.
That is not a surprise given that it's new software, but I don't know if
it's something I would use for a client at this point.

  It also doesn't appear to be as forgiving as stated.  I saw a couple of
posts that said "I had to open all UDP ports on my firewall to get it to
work".  I'd never do that at a clients.  So yes, while it will do a NAT
transversal, it's still highly dependent on the Firewall/Router
configuration for it to work properly.  At it currently doesn't work if the
network is restricted to ports 80/443 and using a web proxy.

  The last thing I'd be somewhat nervous about is that it uses obscure
Windows API functions to do it's job.  Given that their not typically used,
they have the potential to buggy.  I saw a few posts that said that when the
software was installed, it interfered with other adapters that were
installed on the system.

  Overall sounds like it needs to mature a bit more.  Neat idea though.

Jim.